WHO WE ARE!
The Greater Phoenix Urban League is one of the 90 affiliates of the National Urban League. While there is still much to be done, the GPUL works on behalf of those in need and has touched thousands of lives around the City of Phoenix and surrounding areas.
ABOUT THE GREATER PHOENIX URBAN LEAGUE
75 Years of Excellence
The mission of Greater Phoenix Urban League is to be an agent of change; to support minorities and those in need in achieving economic and social equality through programs in economic empowerment, housing, education, civic engagement, and health and wellness.
At the Greater Phoenix Urban League, through civic engagement and direct programming, we offer a diverse array of classes and resources, including but not limited to:
- Head Start comprehensive Early Childhood Education with wraparound services and a focus on equity and excellence (GPUL is the largest delegate agency in Phoenix and will serve over 1,100 families in 2020. GPUL is affiliated with the Gurian Institute)
- Summer Youth Work Programming
- Professional Development through our auxiliary organization, the Greater Phoenix Urban League Young Professionals
- Voter Registration and Census Advocacy
- M.A.N.C.A.V.E. father engagement and family strengthening
- Workforce skills development and job placement
- Onsite supportive services at low-income properties
- Foreclosure prevention counselling and credit repair and 1st time Homebuyer Education classes and counselling
- Nutrition education and eligibility screening for enrollment in Arizona Supplemental Nutrition Program from Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), and The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/formerly known as food stamps)
- Health screenings and assistance securing health insurance through Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCS/Arizona Medicaid)
- Food distribution to those in need
At the Greater Phoenix Urban League we help disenfranchised and underserved groups to meet their immediate basic needs such as job placements and access to health care. The role of the Greater Phoenix Urban League is to provide these communities with the tools to empower themselves, providing opportunities to those caught in the cycle of poverty to change their lives.
The leadership team of the Greater Phoenix Urban League is committed to making the organization an agent of change, ensuring the minority community achieves economic and social equality in housing, education, civic engagement, and health and wellness .
George DeanPresident & CEO
As the President and CEO, Mr. Dean has diligently and impressively brought a troubled affiliate back to community visibility, responsiveness to issues, and sound fiscal accountability. He has been a staff member on the Urban League for 25 years, using his leadership to focus on advocacy towards issues affecting the African-American and minority community on education, training, job placement, and economic development.
AlvarezChief Operating Officer
Natalie Alvarez has been with the GPUL for over 25 years and is now the Chief Operating Officer. She has dedicated her career to working with children and families; the GPUL provides one of the largest Head Start programs in the city, providing services to Phoenix's most vulnerable populations. Natalie partnered with Tucson Urban League and State of Black Arizona on the No Ceilings on Success, Education Equality for All program, examining if and how Arizona is advancing equity in schools. The team has been meeting with the community to not only bring awareness around the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) State plan, but to hold the State leaders accountable.
It is the policy of the Greater Phoenix Urban League not to discriminate against individuals by reason of disability, and to provide reasonable accommodations.